I’ve had to change my summer routine dramatically over the past years – as my skin as aged it’s ability to deal with the heat and humidity of Atlanta has changed too so I’ve had to adapt. Less is more but I still like to wear makeup so a good base is still needed. Here’s how I fend off the clammy, sweaty look and embrace the summer glow!
- I always start my routine with steps 1 and 2 of the Rodan + Fields Reverse regimen which reverses any existing sun damage. I save step 3 – the retinol and vitamin C treatment for in the evening in the summer. Instead, after step 2, I use the Active Hydrating serum (available for sale here soon) which does what it says – instead of forming a barrier to prevent hydration leaving the skin it is the only product on the market that actually ADDS hydration to your skin, raising your skins hydration by up to 200% on the first use, making your skin firmer, plumper and and bouncier in the summer.
I then finish with step 4 of the Reverse regimen – what I consider the most important step – the SPF moisturizer. It makes a great base for makeup.
2. Instead of using a foundation – in the summer I have 3 go to products that I use for different occasions that act as my makeup base.
- Clarins Beauty Flash Balm – The product blurb states that …Clarins’ brightening balm eliminates signs of fatigue in a flash! Instantly moisturizes and tightens facial contours so skin looks rested and relaxed. Olive and Witch Hazel extracts help visibly smooth the skin’s surface — diffusing the look of lines and wrinkles. Soothing Bisabolol helps restore skin’s youthful glow. Also acts as a make-up base or primer for perfect make-up application and hours of luminous wear…
I find it does just that and I wear alone (after a separate SPF) at the beach or as a makeup base.
What it is:
A luxurious cream with 24 karat gold and intelligent shade-sensing sphere technology to enhance luminosity and boost radiance, and colloidal gold to visibly lift and firm.
What it is formulated to do:
Optical diffusers have a prismatic effect that instantly scatter light, which helps diminish the appearance of skin imperfections to create a flawless, lit-from within glow. Three shade-sensing spheres are combined to provide a full spectrum of radiance and are self-adjusting to complement every skin tone. Advanced hydrators restore skin health by preventing natural water loss and provide immediate and long-term hydration for a fresh, dewy look and feel. Skin is left with a soft, natural-looking glow. Pure 24 karat gold imparts an opulent, radiant glow—locking in moisture and keeping skin firm by maintaining natural collagen in the skin—while colloidal gold helps visibly lift, firm, and restore lost elasticity.
It has a beautiful glow – gold you will not be surprised to hear – I use a stipple brush to blend it so I use it like a makeup rather than a skincare product. I’m wearing it today and it gives me a beautiful healthy glow.
– this is one of my favorite beauty products. In a single step you can add glow and SPF. If I need something with a little more coverage than the 2 previous products this is my choice. Instant Radiance Sun Defense Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
Sephora states that it is:
An illuminating, color-correcting and skin-blending tinted moisturizer that provides a flawless complexion while defending skin against harmful free radicals and UVA/UVB rays with broad-spectrum SPF 40 protection.
3. Finally I finish with the Rodan + Fields mineral peptide powder bronzer. This gives a fabulous finish with even texture and tone and no cakeyness. It goes everywhere with me.
Next I love to apply a bold lip and a great highlighter – but I have so many favorites they deserve posts of their own!